QuadCrew Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the QuadCrewRiders website

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Trail Report"

Go down 
+7
Ruger
Bascom
Grizz
DJ750
G Bob
wacker
Prairie Pounder
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Prairie Pounder

Prairie Pounder

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeThu Jul 15, 2010 10:22 pm

Wi-Fee and I had another goof-off day so we decided to go ridin' in Amish Country. It was sort of an impulse trip, but hey, there we were at 8am loading up the bikes. We then quickly grabbed our helmets, spare clothes and plenty of drinks. After about an hour, Wi-Fee had to get rid of some coffee. There's a shocker... "Trail Report"  Icon_lol Being a big fan of multi-purpose pit stops, I choose a little restaurant that just happens to have homemade ice cream. While Wi-Fee took care of her business, I took care of my belly. Creamy "Buggy Stomp" vanilla ice cream loaded with M&M's and pecans. Ahhhhhhhh maaaannn, wackdaddy would have been in Heaven! We already had the makings of good day. "Trail Report"  Icon_biggrin

Another twenty minutes or so and we were at the trailhead. This was our first time to ride there so we checked in before unloading the bikes. Seemed to be a good set up. Bike friendly communities. A few non-chain locally-owned eateries. Off we go!

We had a really good time. In spite of the heat, it felt good to be out on some trails. The heat really wasn't an issue until we stopped to sight-see or have something to drink. Then it felt very warm and very muggy. (Thankfully) the majority of the trails were sheltered by trees. No dust. Few riders. Very smooth trails. We managed to get in 32 miles. Not bad, considering we had to pedal the whole way. "Trail Report"  Icon_lol

We hope you enjoy a few pics... PP & Wi-Fee

One Of The Communities
"Trail Report"  Bicyclemillersburg71002
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Saw Lots Of Critters Including These Two Young Fella's
"Trail Report"  Bicyclemillersburg71001

Pedal Power Meets Horse Power
"Trail Report"  Bicyclemillersburg71001

Really Good Burger. Note To Wacker: It Can Also Be Ordered With Three Patties (1 1/2 lb)
"Trail Report"  Bicyclemillersburg71000

One Of The Trail Caretakers. I'm Pretty Sure It's My Second Cousin... "Trail Report"  Icon_scratch

One For GUG~ Saw All Sorts Of Flowers, Tidy Amish Yards And Good Looking Cropland Too
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 7:33 am

Looks like you guy's had a great day... nice report.

Loved the burger picture
Back to top Go down
G Bob

G Bob

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 9:16 am

I liked everything but the pedaling part Smile I do have one question. Is Amish country like England or something. Isnt everyone on the wrong side of the road in your pics?
Back to top Go down
http://www.brownsphoto.com
DJ750

DJ750

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 9:48 am

Great pics!!
Back to top Go down
Prairie Pounder

Prairie Pounder

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 11:18 am

The buggy lane was chip-n-sealed to give the horses better traction. It was on the "right" side of the path in a couple of sections. The bicycle lane was blacktopped. I asked one of the Millersburg Parks employees how the path was funded (there was no fee to use it). She told us that most of their funding comes from the Amish who hold a yearly auction. Furniture items being the biggest draw, along with food. Each year they raise upwards of $60,000. "Trail Report"  Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Grizz

Grizz

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 12:15 pm

"Trail Report"  Bicycling_next_exit_sticker-p217423202791144703tdcj_525"Trail Report"  Wicker_basket_furniture_in_a_bike_shape_on_the_gra_sticker-p2176842957115982142zoz9_525
Back to top Go down
Bascom

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 7:45 pm

PP were did you find that burger. I need to make a trip back down to the amish soon.
Back to top Go down
Prairie Pounder

Prairie Pounder

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 10:18 pm

After the Buggy stomp, burger and 32 miles of pedaling it was time to get serious about getting back all the calories we lost. We stopped at a place in Walnut Creek and had an outstanding meal topped off with lemon meringue/peanut butter pie. ewwwww yeah.... "Trail Report"  Icon_biggrin

The burger came from here
"Trail Report"  Bicyclemillersburg71000
Back to top Go down
Bascom

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 11:01 pm

Thanks PP usually we eat at the Der Dutchman, but I can always use something new!
Back to top Go down
Prairie Pounder

Prairie Pounder

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 16, 2010 11:31 pm

That's where we ate supper. I guess there's no need to tell you or Nic how good that place is... I can think of no better place for an old, out of shape, pooped peddler to refuel. "Trail Report"  Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Bascom

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 8:33 am

Nope no need at all, but now I got one big problem. I'm ready for some of their awesome coconut cream pies. "Trail Report"  Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Nice report and pictures. SBR and I went for a ride a month ago and didn't get nearly the miles in that you did, 7 I think it was. I'll admit I'm out of shape, must be too much "lager" and hangin out in all Wacker's big burger joints.
Back to top Go down
Prairie Pounder

Prairie Pounder

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 3:55 pm

I hear ya! It's a version of the freshman 15...The wacker 25. But what a good time we've had gaining it. "Trail Report"  Icon_biggrin "Trail Report"  Icon_biggrin

Just so there are no comparisions to Lance Armstrong, this trail was dead flat. What few "climbs" there were, were immediately given right back. We might try a different trail this week.
Back to top Go down
Prairie Pounder

Prairie Pounder

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 4:24 pm

Yesterday Wi-Fee and I rode the Hocking/Adena Bikeway. It travels along a portion of the campus in Athens and along the Hocking River. Once again it was very humid and warm. Even worse whenever we weren't padalling, but thankfully the trail was nearly 100% shaded. This trail was very scenic. Flowers everywhere...GUG would have loved it! Along with the normal critters, we saw a decent buck in velvet. Too bad the buck wasn't interested in having his picture taken. Ended the day with a good Mexican Dinner at a restaurant in the pub area just off campus. It was another good day on "the trail". Very Happy

Wi-Fee With Hammer Down
"Trail Report"  Biketrailathens710001

Slinky Friend
"Trail Report"  Biketrailathens710008

Trumpet Vine
"Trail Report"  Biketrailathens710005

Another Cousin, Maybe. Tall Prairie?? Maybe I'm Related To G Bob. He's Tall And Would Make A Terrific Research Project.
"Trail Report"  Biketrailathens710017

Cool Beans. Or Something Like That.
"Trail Report"  Biketrailathens710018

Back to top Go down
suze

suze

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 8:57 pm

Great pictures & report -- looks like a good time.
Back to top Go down
polarislover

polarislover

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 10:19 pm

Why does Hocking River make me think of being ill?
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingoodlodging.com
Mr.Ed

Mr.Ed

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 5:19 pm

PP you were in my back yard. Did you make it to Hocking College?
Back to top Go down
giddyupgirl

giddyupgirl

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 10:34 pm

Looks like great fun!
It's been too hot around here to ride any kind of bike.
We have to escape to the mountains on the weekends! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"Trail Report"  Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Trail Report"    "Trail Report"  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Trail Report"
Page 1 of 1