QuadCrew Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the QuadCrewRiders website

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA 8/6/10

Go down 
+3
wacker
G Bob
RadRed44
7 posters
AuthorMessage
RadRed44

RadRed44

Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA  8/6/10 Empty
PostSubject: Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA 8/6/10   Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA  8/6/10 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 8:12 pm

We had planned to ride R/R two days, but it turned out we could only do the one. It was our first ride there, so we were mainly just scouting it out. We unloaded the rzr just before 10:30 and rode for about four hours. The weather was great, having rained the night before, but was bright and sunny in the morning. No dust!

The park has a nice welcome center/gift shop where you have to register when you enter. We bought tickets (1 rider, 1 passenger) for the day, which cost $28. They also sell shirts, hats, and various other souvenirs, as well as helmets, goggles, tire repair kits, oil, and some essential supplies. It looks like they now also rent ATV's. The staff was friendly and helpful, going over the trail map and pointing out different areas and features. They gave us their phone number in case we needed help or information while on the trail.

They have recently opened a new section which they say added 50 miles of trails. This must put the total miles of trails over 100, since the new area seems smaller than the original park. We stayed in the original area, on mostly green and blue trails. Most of even the blue trails were very easy going, and except for several being slightly overgrown, were well kept. There was a good variety of terrain, from hills and woods, to meadows, and typical strip-mine areas. We found their trail makings to be a little confusing, with many, many intersections. After some time we were able to get somewhat of a feel for the numbering system, but still had to consult the map frequently. The trail sections aren't all that long, and at times it seemed there was an intersection every couple hundred feet.

We broke out a new Garmin 60Cx gps for the trip, and spent some extra time working with that. I found it more interesting after the ride, looking at our track, than I felt it useful on the trail. It is virtually impossible to get lost there, as a wide access road runs the entire length of the park, and you're never more than a few miles from the welcome center. There are a LOT of trails packed into a fairly small area. It looks closer on the map, though, since being grown up and hilly terrain, we didn't feel like anyone was on top of us. Of course there were only a few other riders in the park that day.

All in all, it was a good place to ride, and we plan to go back again some time. The only real downside was the cost.

Back to top Go down
G Bob

G Bob

PostSubject: Re: Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA 8/6/10   Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA  8/6/10 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 8:48 pm

Nice report and you gotta luv those shots on google earth from the gps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brownsphoto.com
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA 8/6/10   Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA  8/6/10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 9:48 am

Hey.... I like that report, covers a little bit of everything. Looked like a nice weekend. You're right, when we were there the whole trail system felt a little bit like a "mouse in a maze" style riding. Finally we gave up looking at the map and just started riding around in circles making left & right turns where ever and when ever we wanted to, being that you're never very far from the parking lot with the haul road down the middle of the system. Nice place overall, but we thought it was more layed out and designed for family riding with small kids and camping style visitors. It's all in what your looking for though and still fun to try out different places. Good effort on Google Earth with that new Garmin GPS also. Cool

Rock Run Trail Map
Back to top Go down
DJ750

DJ750

PostSubject: Re: Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA 8/6/10   Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA  8/6/10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 10:26 am

Looks like a great day. Thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
Yampol

Yampol

PostSubject: Re: Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA 8/6/10   Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA  8/6/10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Nice report. We will have to try it sometime.
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA 8/6/10   Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA  8/6/10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 1:02 pm

To the SE on your map, did you guy's get out to the road "snack shop" for lunch?
Back to top Go down
RadRed44

RadRed44

PostSubject: Re: Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA 8/6/10   Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA  8/6/10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 5:37 pm

wacker wrote:
To the SE on your map, did you guy's get out to the road "snack shop" for lunch?

We rode out the trail, but the shop seemed to be closed No.
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA 8/6/10   Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA  8/6/10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 7:45 pm

RadRed44 wrote:
wacker wrote:
We rode out the trail, but the shop seemed to be closed No.
If it helps you feel any better... you really didn't miss much... Razz

When we were in there, the only thing they had for sale besides drinks were
"pre-packaged" sandwiches brought in from somewhere else. It may be
different now, but I wasn't overly excited about a sandwich that came from
somewhere else.... call me weird I guess. Razz
Back to top Go down
suze

suze

PostSubject: Re: Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA 8/6/10   Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA  8/6/10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Great report -- glad you had a good time.
Back to top Go down
giddyupgirl

giddyupgirl

PostSubject: Re: Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA 8/6/10   Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA  8/6/10 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 5:35 pm

Nice trip report. I am glad you liked it! Very Happy

I have to say though, we were there once and it wasn't for me...although there were a few nice overlooks like in your picture.
I agree with the confusing numbering system and the too many intersections statements. I felt like I was just riding on an old strip job and running round in circles with a few short jaunts into the woods.

I also agree with the cost comment. I thought that the $18.00 daily cost or $125 per person for a year pass was a little salty considering all you get for it...a whole year of HMT is way less and you get 6 organized trail systems.
BUT- Fisher's ATV must like it- they had a shin-dig there, but unless they make some major trail additions, they don't have to worry about me every going back.
I guess those trails just aren't my favorite! Very Happy Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
RadRed44

RadRed44

PostSubject: Re: Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA 8/6/10   Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA  8/6/10 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 9:26 pm

Yeah, I think they might have been better off making 30 miles of decent trails, than the 100 miles of mediocre ones. Was the Yamaha section open when you were there (out beyond the big garage)?
Back to top Go down
giddyupgirl

giddyupgirl

PostSubject: Re: Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA 8/6/10   Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA  8/6/10 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 7:38 pm

Good point. I agree.
No, that section wasn't opened. There was a gate at the big garage, and it's probably been ~2 years ago this fall since I was there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA 8/6/10   Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA  8/6/10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rock Run Recreation Area, Patton, PA 8/6/10
Page 1 of 1