QuadCrew Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the QuadCrewRiders website

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire

Go down 
+5
Tumbleweed
slopoke
Tequila
G Bob
polarislover
9 posters
AuthorMessage
polarislover

polarislover

Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Empty
PostSubject: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:14 pm

The town once again had a community threat but not mother nature and her flooding issues. A resident was remodeling and burned the debris in the yard on the hill behind The Gilbert House...one of our rentals. Backed by 30 mph winds, the fire ignited the dry leaves and in no time made its way toward the mountain ridge. It also spread left as far as the Mountain Breeze area and right as far as the mountainside across from the fire house and Wise Guys Pizza Company. Many homes were in great jeopardy as the flames behind the BB&T Bank leaped to 25-30 feet high. This was allowed to fuel fiercely due to the dried dormant Kudzu vine in that area. (remember how that vine covered many trees on the old connector...no more!) One garage caught fire but was extinguished. The garage owner lost a dirtbike, an old van and belonings around his house, but the home was spared due to the efforts of the firefighters. They worked throughout the night in dense smoke and contained the fire with their efforts. We received rain this afternoon and stopped the potential of further burning. I tell you, the community disasters are getting rampant here. If you plan to visit early this Spring, the scorched hillside will be very evident from the main road...an important side note, it DID NOT affect the trail system! See ya! Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire 900686

Last edited by polarislover on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingoodlodging.com
G Bob

G Bob

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 6:44 pm

Sorry to hear that Randy but lets face it. That one was caused by stupidity. Any dumbass who would have an outside burn this time of year with the wind the way its been it just plain stupid. Glad to hear you all dodged a bullet this time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brownsphoto.com
Tequila

Tequila

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 7:39 pm

Wow! I would guess the Town of Gilbert was fortunate that it wasn't any worse... but you guys just can't catch a break, huh?
Back to top Go down
slopoke

slopoke

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 7:54 pm

Glad it wasn't any worse, what a dipstick. I never burn when its windy and if it is dry wood I keep the fire isolated and a small slow monitored and controlled burn. I live surrounded by a woods and want to keep it that way.
Back to top Go down
polarislover

polarislover

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 8:40 pm

The land owners have some $$$ to pay...fines, manpower, 200,000 gals of water...the forestry division was quick on the scene.
Back to top Go down
polarislover

polarislover

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 8:42 pm

I have seen many forest fires in this area in my lifetime, but NEVER the flame heighth and intensity of this fire.
Back to top Go down
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:11 pm

Remember, only forest fires prevent bears.

What an idiot.
Back to top Go down
polarislover

polarislover

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:21 pm

lol...a bright spot in a not so bright time...good one.
Back to top Go down
polarislover

polarislover

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:23 pm

A friend of mine asked me if I knew why so and so joined the fire department? No, I said why? Because he doesn't know how to start a flood!
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:30 pm

Glad everyone is safe and it turned out alright for the most part.
Back to top Go down
Grizz

Grizz

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 10:35 pm

Glad to hear no serious injuries or great property loss. I remember the Kudzu vine & how high they were. Good you had lots of help, some people don't realize the danger of fire on a windy day. Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire 900686

Back to top Go down
polarislover

polarislover

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 8:18 am

Anyone know why Smokey the Bear (heard that the name is actually Smokey Bear...no "the in it according to the news) never had any kids?
Back to top Go down
Grizz

Grizz

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 9:22 am

Here are the kids, I think think they live in the Mountains near Gilbert, WV

Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 9:42 am

polarislover wrote:
Anyone know why Smokey the Bear (heard that the name is actually Smokey Bear...no "the in it according to the news) never had any kids?
Good one PL Laughing
Back to top Go down
polarislover

polarislover

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 10:12 am

Uhhhh...I never got to the punch line...or have you heard this one?
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 10:30 am

I didn't want to give away the answer till others got it read it... Wink

Happy Saturday Smile
Back to top Go down
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 3:10 pm

Ummm...
Goodness, gracious, great balls of fire???
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 5:26 pm

What an idoit, lucky for him the damage was minimal.
Back to top Go down
polarislover

polarislover

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 6:59 pm

Ruger wrote:
What an idoit, lucky for him the damage was minimal.

Minimal relative to personal propeerty, but the forestry doesn't see it as minimal. The have a list with big bucks on the final line.
Back to top Go down
Prairie Pounder

Prairie Pounder

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeTue Feb 22, 2011 4:33 pm

I hope they fine the guy to death. Ouch! That sounds kinda harsh....Sorry about that...Ehhh, not really. Simpathy for arrogant stupidity is not my strong suit. If he only burns his own stuff, serves him right. When he burns someone elses stuff...

Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Smiley_emoticons_hangman

Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 6:50 pm

polarislover wrote:
Uhhhh...I never got to the punch line...or have you heard this one?
Well what's your version? Cool

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire   Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gilbert threatend by severe forest fire
Page 1 of 1