QuadCrew Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the QuadCrewRiders website

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New WV Trails Map

Go down 
+3
Tumbleweed
slopoke
BobT
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BobT

BobT

New WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: New WV Trails Map   New WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 5:25 pm

For those that are interested I just released a new WV ATV Trails 2.0 map. You can download it at the following link:

[url= http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/500/]WV ATV Trails 2.0 Map[/url]

The group I ride with has been exploring on the last few weekends around Anawalt, War, Coalwood, and West of Welch behind the Bowling Alley.

I have added a lot of trails south of 52 down toward Anawalt. Have also added some trails south of Welch around War, Coalwood, and Iaeger. Also, several trails west of Welch behind the bowling alley.

If you have never ridden the trails south of Welch they are some of the nicest in WV, wooded trails with some creeks. The only problem it is a long ride to just get there, best thing is to probably trailer.

This past Saturday we left Hilltop and headed down WMG Rd to US-52, then 5 miles of pavement to a trail, then to Lake Anawalt. We tried to cross the mountain to War and Berwind but the coal mine had the road blocked so we had to ride another 5 miles of road to Gary where we got gas and lunch. We then headed into the trails west of Gary. We took a very nice blue/red trail over toward War and down to Berwind Lake. We then took some nice wooded trails over to the Pizza Hut on 103 south of Welch. We took the trail up the mountain east of Pizza Hut and came out on US-52 at the old school just east of the Exxon and then back to Hilltop. It was a 110 mile loop.

On Friday we rode behind the bowling alley. One nice trail is Schoolhouse Rd. I have no idea why it is called a Rd since you enter the trail from the east end through a chain link gate in some lady's back yard. We rode a very very nice trail that got us to within 1/4 mile of US-52 and Iaeger but we were about 200' above them with no way to go down so we back tracked. We rode 130 miles on Friday.

PS: the trails with a "?" at the beginning of the name have been drawn on Google Earth and have not been verified yet. The ones we have verified have been pretty accurate. When we are going to go exploring we try and draw them up so we don't just wonder around aimlessly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.triadtrailblazers.com
slopoke

slopoke

New WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: New WV Trails Map   New WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 5:54 pm

sweet Someday I am gonna ride those trails south of 52. Bob Thank You again... cheers
Back to top Go down
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

New WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: New WV Trails Map   New WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 5:58 pm

Bob
Thank you very much for doing these. We truly appreciate it.
I can't wait to try out the updated maps.
Back to top Go down
BobT

BobT

New WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: New WV Trails Map   New WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 7:29 pm

This is our Saturday track

New WV Trails Map May14Ride
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

New WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: New WV Trails Map   New WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 8:59 pm

BobT wrote:

On Friday we rode behind the bowling alley. One nice trail is Schoolhouse Rd. I have no idea why it is called a Rd since you enter the trail from the east end through a chain link gate in some lady's back yard. We rode a very very nice trail that got us to within 1/4 mile of US-52 and Iaeger but we were about 200' above them with no way to go down so we back tracked.

Yep on the gate there is a sign "atvs welcome" or something to that degree. There's some fake flowers on the gate too. Nice trail, only have rode it once.

Nice big loop you rode. I'd like to do some exploring down near Anawalt and Bramwell. I hear you can go into Virginia on some trails south of there.
Back to top Go down
BobT

BobT

New WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: New WV Trails Map   New WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeThu May 19, 2011 9:09 pm

Yep, that's the gate. With the flowers we thought it was a small family cemetery at first. The last 1/4 mile of the other end has been graded.
Back to top Go down
Dixiecop28

Dixiecop28

New WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: New WV Trails Map   New WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 12:24 am

is there a way to open this on google maps or can it only be opened on a garmin gps?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ohiopuddlejumpers.com
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

New WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: New WV Trails Map   New WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 2:10 am

Should be able to open with MapSource on your PC.
Back to top Go down
BobT

BobT

New WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: New WV Trails Map   New WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:49 am

You cannot open/view "Maps" in Google Earth, you can only view "tracks" in Google Earth.

What you need to do is:

1 - First you need Mapsource. If you don't have it go to the link below and follow the directions.
How to get Mapsource

2 - When you installed the map it copied all of the original tracks to your computer in this location. C:\program files\GPS maps\WV ATV Trails 2.0\GPS tracks. In this folder is a file called "WV Outlaw Trails 2.0.gdb". Copy this file to a folder easier to get to such as the desktop or make a folder under "My Documents" called "GPS files".

3 - Now open Mapsource and under "File" open the file "WV Outlaw Trails 2.0.gdb". You may have to click on one of the tracks and click show on map to get you in the area.

4 - Now under "View" click on "View in Google Earth". Google Earth seems to have a limit on the number of tracks that it will color so a lot of the tracks will show as faint white lines. I suggest you go to the left pane in GE and under Mapsource-Tracks uncheck points. This will get rid of the thousands of little circles.

Hope this helps.

I would suggest to anyone who does not have a GPS still get Mapsource so you can see where you ride. A lot of people post their tracks for you to view.

Also, at the site below you can get free Topo maps of all states that you can load into Mapsource to view your tracks on.

GPS file depot
Back to top Go down
G Bob

G Bob

New WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: New WV Trails Map   New WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 8:51 am

Thanks Bob....athough my exploring usually consists of following the guys in front of me its nice to have trails to look at Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.brownsphoto.com
wacker

wacker

New WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: New WV Trails Map   New WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeTue May 31, 2011 11:12 am

Nice instructions... Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: New WV Trails Map   New WV Trails Map Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New WV Trails Map
Page 1 of 1