QuadCrew Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the QuadCrewRiders website

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another Guys Only Ride

Go down 
+6
Sportsman
Lee
wacker
DJ750
Ruger
Prairie Pounder
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Prairie Pounder

Prairie Pounder

Another Guys Only Ride Empty
PostSubject: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 11:17 am

Myself and 5 buddies spent a couple great days riding the Buffalo Mountain trail system. We arrived in Williamson just before midnight on Thursday. Our lodging for this trip would be at the Sycamore Inn. Sunday morning came way too quickly.

Trail Report:

To ask if the trails were dusty is like asking if you could save 15% or more on auto insurance by swithching to Geico. Yeah, it was dusty alright. Baby-powder dusty in the open areas but suprisingly not (too) bad in the woods. Fortunately, the BM system covers a lot of wooded terrain. As you ride this system, you can't help but marvel at the dozer ability of the HM (and the oil and gas) guys to build and maintain trails on such steep mountain-sides. The views on your down-hill side can be quite beautiful, and leave no doubt that you are riding in the mountains.

The trails were in great riding condition. A good mixture of smooth sailing green rated trails along with very technical blue and black rated trails. One exception was the Delbarton connector, T14. It was in terrible~ perhaps unsafe~ riding condition. Exception 1A, for a different reason, was the Double Black Diamond T39. Uhhh...That sign needs updated. We remember that trail when it had a steep, difficult series of steps. The steps are gone. It's still a great trail. Think of it as a mild blue trail, ride it from the Matewan side, and enjoy. Favorite trail...Easy pick. Blue T56. Steep, rocky, technical. Consider it a true black trail, ride it from the Matewan side and hang on. It's a blast!

One thing I must do when riding with my much younger buddies is adjust my clock one quarter turn. 9 AM starts at noon. But we ride until dark. Still a full riding day, just a different time schedule than "normal". OK. On day one we unloaded the machines. On this trip we had three Honda's, two Suzuki's and the one quad that everyone wishes they had. Day one we rode our way to Matewan. It was very hot. Mid 90's. T47 felt like the surface of the sun. That area is exposed to the sun and when combined with the heat from the underground fires, yikes! We normally stop and check out that area. Not that day. T19 could have ruined the day for our lead rider. He comes around the corner and sees a big hole in the middle of the trail. A hole big enough to stand in. Appeared to be a cave in. We found a big branch with lots of limbs to stuff in the hole and reported it to the lady working at the trailhead. 54 GPS miles for the day.

Day two I decided to ride according to my own clock. Besides, four hours sleep is enough for this old guy. I left my buds a note and off I go to Matewan. I have always wanted to ride to Matewan without stopping. Finally got my chance. Staying on green trails for safety and also for a better chance at getting help in case of a breakdown, I arrived at Outback ATV 90 minutes later. While chatting with Jeff Hatfield I get a call from Farmboy. After he was finished "scoulding" me, we decided to meet in Delbarton. The Grizz and me head for Kentucky. We both fuel up on Snicker's bars and start toward Delbarton. This leg of the trip was a different combo of green trails. Beautiful is the only way to describe T20. Deep dark woods that anyone would love to own. This trail is mostly wedged out of a sheer drop-off. Impressive. Half way through T20 I see a group of 10 dirt bikes. One of the riders is waving me down. They were working on a rear axel and wondered if I had any tools. (Silent voice to self~~What idiot would go riding with no tools??) Voice they could hear said, sure do. It is quite the sight to see adult men nearly cry at the sight of a large crescent wrench. Hey, we've all been there. A broken down bike without the right tool or ability to fix it. Someone else in your group bails you out. It felt good to be on the helping end for a change. On to the Delbarton Inn. By the time I got halve way through T14 I thought I must be getting tired. Numerous rocks and roots that were all too eager to yank the handlebars out of your hands made that trail no fun at all. The trail is so narrow that you can't pick your track. You just have to watch out for your sidewalls and get through it. When my buds showed up, I found out I wasn't tired. Their rants reminded me of the "bear being poked". Very funny. They wondered if I knew another way around the mountain. uhhhhhh.... Laughing The manager at the Delbarton Inn told me of a place to eat. When coming off the connector trail, turn left and go one mile or so. On the right side is a restaurant called Three C's. Very good sandwiches. Spotless clean interior. 73 GPS miles for the day.

Buffalo Mountain Trail Rating~ Excellent

Starters Restaurant (Williamson)~ Excellent (Try the Bourban steak)
3 C's (Delbarton)~ Excellent (Be sure and try their onion rings)

Sycamore Inn~ Good (Convenient location. Parking quad trailers can be an issue)

Dandy's~ Good (live band, cold hydration products, need to be OK with cigarette smoke)

I'll try and get some pics posted...

PP
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 11:38 am

Great report as usuall. I wouldn't have waited for their lazy butts to roll out of bed at noon either.
Back to top Go down
Prairie Pounder

Prairie Pounder

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Cool Sign

Another Guys Only Ride Sept2010guyrides026

Yeah Baby!

Another Guys Only Ride Sept2010guyrides033

The Hole

Another Guys Only Ride Sept2010guyrides039

Williamson-Matewan-Delbarton (***Top Speed Highway Run To Outback ATV)

Another Guys Only Ride Sept2010guyrides043

Wouldn't Be A Ride Report Without A Food Photo

Another Guys Only Ride Sept2010guyrides044
Back to top Go down
DJ750

DJ750

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 12:16 pm

Great Report thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Nice ride report... Cool pictures. Cool

Thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
Lee

Lee

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 1:19 pm

Thank you! I've got to plan a trip to that area.
Back to top Go down
Sportsman

Sportsman

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 6:05 pm

Great report PP. I would not wait on them to get up either. If they sleep past 7_7;30 that long enough. Laughing
Back to top Go down
sparky

sparky

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 7:13 pm

prarie pounder would you have the tracks going to kentucky by chance? I have a buddy who is going down there in a couple of weeks and asked if I knew where he could get some tracks as a reference point.
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 8:43 pm

Hey Sparky... I think he meant KY in the sense that he went across the river from Matewan to get fuel and a snack at the gas station... They only rode the BM HMT trail for those two days. Wink
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 9:12 pm

I thought the same thing Wacker, but if our buddy is holding out GPS tracks from us, well Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 9:17 pm

I look at it this way... since we all know him pretty well,
if he's holding out GPS it's b/c he doesn't even know it.

lol!
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 9:19 pm

Actually we should take it easy on him.... he's back at the "SaltMine" tonight
after his exhausting weekend trying to keep up with those younger riders. Razz

I think they now know who the hard one to keep up with is... Cool Good Job PP!
Back to top Go down
midget

midget

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 6:17 am

WOW 2 rides in a row!!!

How you do do that?

You are the PRESIDENT of th MBRC. (multi boys ride club) lol!
Back to top Go down
Farmer

Farmer

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 10:08 pm

Going to Tenn Oct 7-12. Brimestone for 2 days and Windrock for 3 days.
Back to top Go down
Prairie Pounder

Prairie Pounder

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 2:45 pm

Quote :
I look at it this way... since we all know him pretty well,
if he's holding out GPS it's b/c he doesn't even know it.
Ouch, wacker! That would really have hurt if it wasn't so truthful. But hey, I'm getting better...I think. Perhaps another 1,500 Outlaw Rides and I won't need you or Ruger to teach me the same thing over and over. Laughing

Sparky, my "KY Tracks" would be of no value to your buddy. If he's a golfer, he can probably hit a 5 iron further into Kentucky than my tracks will take him. wacker's take is correct. Across the river for fuel and snacks. That's it.

Midget~~ I think the more Outlawing I do, the longer the chain on my yard-pass becomes. It seems Wi-Fee likes the image of being married to a Pirate. Another Guys Only Ride Costumed-smiley-058

Back to top Go down
polarislover

polarislover

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitimeWed Sep 29, 2010 5:02 pm

A pirate? Not the Pittsburg type. And HOPEFULLY not the "Jolly Roger" type either!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingoodlodging.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Guys Only Ride   Another Guys Only Ride Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Guys Only Ride
Page 1 of 1