QuadCrew Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the QuadCrewRiders website

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ball joint repair

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Resq

Resq

Ball joint repair Empty
PostSubject: Ball joint repair   Ball joint repair Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 6:01 pm

Wanted to ask if folks have found a kit that works well for pressing ball joints in and out. Used some hillbilly engineering (wich i like and use alot) on mine, but theres always a better way. The car kits seem a bit to large.
Back to top Go down
G Bob

G Bob

Ball joint repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball joint repair   Ball joint repair Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 7:20 pm

I borrowed one of the car kits from Advance auto the last time I changed mine. You purchase the kit and then they refund your money when you take it back...worked great for me and it was FREE Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.brownsphoto.com
wacker

wacker

Ball joint repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball joint repair   Ball joint repair Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 10:12 pm

I've been able to do a few ball joints the same way as bearings if the a-arm is removable...

Started out using sockets from a large set of 3/4" drive socket set with several different big C-clamps.

Now I still use the sockets been have the joy of also using a shop press. LINK

Sometimes and also different places have them for on sale for around $99
Back to top Go down
Resq

Resq

Ball joint repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball joint repair   Ball joint repair Icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 11:03 pm

I will visit the local shop g bob. The bottom ball joint sits close to the lip of the bearing seal. Tight spot.

My next tool purchase wacker!
Back to top Go down
G Bob

G Bob

Ball joint repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball joint repair   Ball joint repair Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 8:23 am

If you're gonna be doing any wheel bearing work at all that press that Wacker linked to is the bomb. I got to where I could change a wheel bearing on my brute in about 30 minutes.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brownsphoto.com
wacker

wacker

Ball joint repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball joint repair   Ball joint repair Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 9:03 am

If your near a Harbor Freight this may be identical... save shipping Cool

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

Ball joint repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball joint repair   Ball joint repair Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 9:26 am

That's one I bought @ HF. Does the job.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Ed

Mr.Ed

Ball joint repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball joint repair   Ball joint repair Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 10:42 am

Got the same one put it to good use the past few days.

Resque if you can get it off the bike you are welcome to come down and use mine.
Back to top Go down
Resq

Resq

Ball joint repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball joint repair   Ball joint repair Icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 11:12 am

LoL, was just looking at harbor freight.. store located in colunbus too. I bought the ball joint separator a few months ago from them and had it shipped. Works great for quads.

Thanks for the offer ed. I just did both front wheel bearings and all 4 ball joints on my quad. Completed the right side of magnums quad too. Used sockets and clamp. With a few more rincons around that are older it looks like i may be busy... Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ball joint repair Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ball joint repair   Ball joint repair Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ball joint repair
Page 1 of 1