HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hatfield-McCoy 4-25 till 4-28-2011

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Grizz

PostSubject: Hatfield-McCoy 4-25 till 4-28-2011   Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:51 pm

My truck was all loaded & pack Sunday, left Monday 5 am, Pat, Tom, Jack & Grizz. We had rain till we crossed the Ohio River on RT. #77, WV was all Sun & warm 88 + degrees in Man. Arrived at 11 an & Terry & Christina http://www.rockhouselodge.com/index.html were just finishing cleaning our rooms, they are great host. We unloaded the ATV’s, got permits, new maps & gas then had a quick lunch at Wendy’s. Pat & Jack were a little nervous; they are newbie’s to trail riding. That first little slippery rock area & tree at the start of trailhead had them wondering how tough the trails were going to be, but soon they were riding like pro’s. We rode green & blue’s on the Man side, about 6 o’clock we headed back for some refreshments & supper. Jack discovered the Carb on his Grizzly was dripping out the overflow, the shut off wouldn’t stop it either. I showered & was in bed by 9:30 & slept till 7 am, wish I could sleep 9 ½ Hrs every night. I felt well rested. Next morning it had stopped, we added some cleaner & no more trouble with that.
Day 2 we had breakfast & gassed up, we got to the Man Trailhead & this group of trail bikers were unloading, 2 of them were doing wheelie’s across the parking lot, I told them about the Rangers writing people up & they thanked me & went roaring up the trail, they were friendly, just excited about riding. We rode the blue & green trails working our way toward Gilbert. The guys liked the switchbacks & climbs, some we did again. We finally arrived at the tunnel & took pictures, then down to Gilbert, Pat & Jack thought riding the highway was neat; we had a Sheriff’s Car coming toward us from Gilbert & he paid no attention to us, Pat said not like at home. We stopped to visit PL “Randy” he said you guys had lots of rain, but had a great time. I couldn’t help but notice a mattress lying on the enclosed deck, another bed malfunction??? WOW ! I didn’t ask any questions. We had a short visit, then gassed up & up the mountain we went, more pictures at the tunnel, then worked our way to Man, had a couple of refreshments, showered, supper. & to bed early.
Day 3 Up early, I tried to talk the guys into doing Bearwallow but they wanted to ride Rockhouse, we rode most of the green & blue trails to the tunnel & back again, About one O’clock the wind kicked up & was blowing a storm in, limbs were falling & we came across a few downed trees, we got around them ok. Then Jack discovered grease on his left rear wheel, the boot was torn & CV joint was broken. We were half way between Man & Gilbert, so we took the easiest & fastest way back to Man. Back around 5 & loaded the ATV’s finishing just as the rain started. Rained thru the night with a big storm with lighting & high wind, we lost the electric for about 2 hrs. Had breakfast, clean up rooms & headed to Speedway for fuel. The weather was great high 80's nights 57 no rain till after the ride

We are trying to get a bigger ride together for June, they have other friends who are interested. I think these guys are hooked.

“A good time was had by all”

PS. Any old Quadcrew people remember a young kid who went by papa_smurf, we met up with him at Speedway while fueling up, He is a policeman now, I guess for Man, he was just coming off shift & in uniform. I remember seeing him in Wendy’s about 2006 & he was riding a trail bike wearing a backpack for water with a hose, I kiddingly ask him if that was a parachute & we all had a laugh. I told him to get on Quadcrewriders & say hello.
This is an old e-mail cruisej@charter.net from quadcrew, not sure if it is current. I’ll try it. Hey, always good to know a COP Wink

Pic's https://picasaweb.google.com/Grizzly716/HatfieldMcCoy42511?authkey=Gv1sRgCMXrq4ayoubTUw#
Back to top Go down
Ruger

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield-McCoy 4-25 till 4-28-2011   Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:02 pm

Sounds like you guys had a good time despite the mechanical problems.

Good thing you didn't ask about the mattress Embarassed
Back to top Go down
wacker

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield-McCoy 4-25 till 4-28-2011   Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:20 pm

Good ride report... Glad the weather stayed away while you guy's were on the trails.

I know Giddyupgirl was talking with Bearman over Easter weekend about Cruise "papa_smurf",
he rode a couple of times with us and Lou. Always a nice guy. He sure could ride that dirt bike.

You guy's will definitely have to go back down soon just to ride some stuff other then RockHouse.

Back to top Go down
Grizz

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield-McCoy 4-25 till 4-28-2011   Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:38 pm

papa_smurf cruisej@charter.net Not a good e-mail address

Wacker said

Quote :
Always a nice guy. He sure could ride that dirt bike.

He sure was, I remember him well
Back to top Go down
Switchback Roller

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield-McCoy 4-25 till 4-28-2011   Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Smile
Back to top Go down
Sportsman

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield-McCoy 4-25 till 4-28-2011   Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Looks like everyone had a great time. Nice pics too. Thanks for sharing Grizz. Laughing
Back to top Go down
giddyupgirl

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield-McCoy 4-25 till 4-28-2011   Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:33 pm

Grizz wrote:
That first little slippery rock area & tree at the start of trailhead had them wondering how tough the trails were going to be, but soon they were riding like pro’s.

That stupid rock needs blasted or a jack hammer taken to it. It gets worse and worse every year. I can just imagine a little kid trying to get up over it when it's wet. That would be enough to make them be anxious and worried for a few miles instead of having fun! Exclamation

I'm glad ALL of you had a good time!
We need to look up PapaSmurf next time we're down there. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Grizz

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield-McCoy 4-25 till 4-28-2011   Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:48 pm

I almost forgot, I found a turtle on the trail near the Man trailhead, looked the same as the one ED n Bev posted. Also saw 4 Big Black Snakes, they are coming out of the rocks now. Lots of wildlife Deer, Grouse in trees & sitting on the trail, one didn't want to move till I got real close. Also turkey on the way down to Man. Ruger get the Shotgun Wink . Riding in front you see a lot of wildliife, lots of frogs in the puddles Smile
Back to top Go down
midget

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield-McCoy 4-25 till 4-28-2011   Sun May 01, 2011 6:17 am

Sounds like you had a good time.
Suze and i remember papa smurf. He was a very nice kid.
And about a bed malfunction? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mr.Ed

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield-McCoy 4-25 till 4-28-2011   Sun May 01, 2011 8:05 am

Grizz enjoyed the ride report and pictures. Looks like you guys sure had a nice time.
Back to top Go down
Ruger

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield-McCoy 4-25 till 4-28-2011   Sun May 01, 2011 8:32 am

Grizz,
I seen atleast 6 turkeys when we rode Buffalo Mtn. on good friday.
Back to top Go down
Prairie Pounder

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield-McCoy 4-25 till 4-28-2011   Sun May 01, 2011 8:59 am

Very Nice Report, Grizz. Hooked some newbee's. Atta Boy!

Another bed??? Crying or Very sad Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hatfield-McCoy 4-25 till 4-28-2011   

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
QuadCrew Riders :: Riding Areas :: Wild & Wonderful West Virginia-
Jump to: