QuadCrew Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the QuadCrewRiders website

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Welch Weekend

Go down 
+14
polarislover
Grizz
G Bob
Tumbleweed
suze
Sportsman
giddyupgirl
Switchback Roller
midget
gump
wacker
Jim and Mary
DJ750
Prairie Pounder
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Prairie Pounder

Prairie Pounder

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 10:46 am

Disclaimer: This ride report will not contain a whole lot of details, due to the fact I have very little clue as to where we rode. I'm guessing the Brainiac Brothers will be able to share the Garmin and Google details at some point. I'll just ramble a little about our ride. Stay tuned for upcoming (useful) details...

OK. This is what I know... A good ole boy from Carolina that Gump, Ruger and Wacker had ridden with before was wanting some company to ride with this past weekend. He grew up in Welch, still has two quads with a relative there and knows the mountains quite well. Eager to add to their trail-map library, Ruger and WackDaddyO agreed to meet up with him. Wi-Fee and I were also free this past weekend, so we gladly tagged along. We all arrived at the Pocahontas Motel in Welch Friday evening. Spring had definately sprung in W.Va. Very pleasant temps. Flowers were blooming. Even saw a few crabapple trees in bloom. The trip was already a success for Wi-Fee. Spring flowers and greenery make her a happy girl.

Saturday morning we all met Carolina Guy at the Sterling Drive Inn for a good breakfast. After the proper fillup, it was time to head for the mountains. The temps were a little chilly starting out...(insert Midget jab here). It had rained the night before, leaving the trails in perfect riding condition. Ahhhh, yes. What a great idea this was! Very nice riding. A good mixture of woods and lease road trails. Easy cruising trails. Technical rocky switchbacks. Plenty of slippery mud too. The woods though still mostly brown was very scenic. Spring runoff had the streams flowing full and clear. Mountain waterfalls were numerous also. We stopped for lunch (yep, no kidding) in, uhhh... maybe a town called War. Some pizza place. Very good food and iced tea(says Wi-Fee). My pizza was extra good. Also a spotlessly clean kitchen for those that like that sort of thing. Day one mileage +/- 125 miles.

Sunday morning was a little cooler than the previous day. Had to wipe frost off the seats before heading off to breakfast. But just like Saturday, it warmed up enough in the afternoon that two or three shirts kept you warm. Getting way back in the mountains, like we were, showed a different side of WV. If any of you in QCR land know someone that really wants to go off the grid, we can offer some suggestions. We are talking several miles beyond the middle of nowhere. Beautiful country. Very difficult to get to. Lunch on Sunday was just outside Gilbert at The Blue Moon. Chicken and burger sandwiches, fresh cut fries, and nachos. All were very good. Before ordering, we made a call to our friends PL and The Mayor but they weren't home. As we were getting ready to head back to the trails, they just happen to drive by, spotted us, and pulled in for a chat. After a nice visit we were off. Looking forward to our stay with the Livingood's next month. Day two mileage +/- 150 miles. My Grizz odometer is sitting on 275. Two very full days of riding. The weather was perfect. The trails and scenery were great. So was the company we rode with. We had a really good time. Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks for letting us tag along!
Wi-Fee and PP

I'm having technical issues with pictures...New laptop. Old brain. Sad

More ramblings...

Burning question: How long can one dog bark? Answer: We may never know...

Toughest Rider Award: No contest! GUG~ I can't imagine (not even for a little bit)covering the miles we covered on her old-school 450 Honda.

Best Rant: Wacker~ After getting sprayed by the deoderizer while washing his hands. Wacker also gets the "Magnet" award.

King of Smart Aleck Responses: Ruger~ He's good. Really good.

Favorite Scare Victim(ambush style): Switchback Roller~ Glad she didn't drop her beverages. "Let's Be Friends"

Best quotes:

Carolinaism: "If you take your quad over that edge, you can go ahead and cancel Christmas."

Rugerism: "This ride is so covert, we can't go back into town until after dark!"

"A Good Time Was Had By All"

Very Happy

Back to top Go down
DJ750

DJ750

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 12:11 pm

Good Stuff PP!! Welch Weekend 903791
Back to top Go down
Jim and Mary

Jim and Mary

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 12:27 pm

Great ride report; enjoyed reading about all your experiences. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 1:13 pm

Prairie Pounder wrote:

Day two mileage +/- 150 miles. My Grizz odometer is sitting on 275. Two very full days of riding. The weather was perfect. The trails and scenery were great. So was the company we rode with. We had a really good time. Very Happy Very Happy

Who loves a 150+ mile day? ..... Welch Weekend 339301

Welch Weekend P3203133
Back to top Go down
gump

gump

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 3:03 pm

Sounds like fun: did you get to see the badge?
Wacker i bet you didnt touch the walls did ya?
Rippin and tearin!
War the town has the best pizza shop her cheesesteaks are the best
Back to top Go down
midget

midget

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 5:57 pm

Sounds like everyone had a good and safe time.
After reading this-- I WANT TO RIDE!!!!! (i feel better now Laughing )

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Switchback Roller

Switchback Roller

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 8:03 pm

Very Happy Well done PP
BUT I still owe you ONE Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Switchback Roller

Switchback Roller

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 8:07 pm

Very Happy Welch Weekend 796248 It was a great trip. Nice weather and great trails. Welch Weekend 514115 Night ridding was a new experience. Thanks Ruger and Wacker
Back to top Go down
giddyupgirl

giddyupgirl

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Nice trip, nice report.
Actually- funny report. Great quotes. Laughed aloud.

Gump- War, what is it good for?....cheesesteaks....agreed! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sportsman

Sportsman

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 9:33 pm

Nice ride report PP. Sounds like everyone had a good time. Very Happy Glad to see folks get out and enjoy the great weekend weather.

We had a high Mileage weekend too, about 660 total. Stopped in Athens Oh. Sat morning and dropped off a part for bev's new Patio door, for her Sunroom. Then it was on to Ky for a friends 80th birthday party, and visiting with several friends. Then back home on Sunday evening.
Back to top Go down
giddyupgirl

giddyupgirl

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeTue Mar 22, 2011 9:40 pm

Sounds like a nice trip.
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 7:46 am

Let's Ride Baby! ~ Tee Pee Camp Site
Welch Weekend P3193079 Welch Weekend P3193085

Nice Trails out the ridge tops ~ High Rock
Welch Weekend P3193092 Welch Weekend P3193094

Wacker & GiddyUpGirl ~ Gold Fish Pond in the middle of the mountain
Welch Weekend P3193098 Welch Weekend P3193104
Back to top Go down
Sportsman

Sportsman

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 8:00 am

Nice Pictures. Thanks for sharing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
suze

suze

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 8:49 am

Nice photos & report -- glad everyone had a nice time. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 9:38 am

Nice ride, nice report, nice quotes!
Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
DJ750

DJ750

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 9:40 am

Welch Weekend 895407
Back to top Go down
G Bob

G Bob

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 9:44 am

You couldnt have picked a better weekend.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brownsphoto.com
Grizz

Grizz

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 11:04 am

Good reports, glad everyone had a great time & the weather was so good
150 MI. DAY & 275 total is two good days of riding.
A good break in for GUG’s Honda
Quote :
Toughest Rider Award: No contest! GUG~ I can't imagine (not even for a little bit)covering the miles we covered on her old-school 450 Honda.

Also looks like no lack of good Food & Friendship as usual Smile
Back to top Go down
polarislover

polarislover

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 11:26 am

Credit where credit is due...pp should have been a journalism major with his style and expertise. Not to take anything from others that post ride reports, but the bar is set high when pp writes. There is just something about his renderings that demand attention! Very enjoyable, pp. (or does "wif-ee" do this?!) Just one mans opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.livingoodlodging.com
gump

gump

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 11:48 am

polarislover wrote:
Credit where credit is due...pp should have been a journalism major with his style and expertise. Not to take anything from others that post ride reports, but the bar is set high when pp writes. There is just something about his renderings that demand attention! Very enjoyable, pp. (or does "wagreed very good.if-ee" do this?!) Just one mans opinion.
I agree. I usually don't hang out with people of this caliber I usualy like to hang out with people of a dumber caliber. makes me look like the smarter 1
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 11:51 am

PL your right... everyone talked about some sort of ride report several times throughout the weekend and we all thought it was in good hands with PrairiePounder being along to document the memories. He does a nice job putting "pen to paper" (PP) and pointing out multiply things that would normally go un-noticed.

Welch Weekend WritingSmiley
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Switchback 1st visit to the Sterling ~ Lined up ready to roll ~ Wi-Fee coming up the mountain.
Welch Weekend DSCN2913 Welch Weekend DSCN2912 Welch Weekend DSCN2916

Crossing a creek somewhere up Raysal Hollow ~ You run your quad off here you can cancel Christmas
Welch Weekend DSCN2924 Welch Weekend DSCN2935

GUG & Wacker on High Rock ~ Break time at the goldfish pond
Welch Weekend DSCN2938 Welch Weekend DSCN2939

Headed toward Bonnies ~ Creek Crossing down by the Tug Fork ~ Who loves riding at night?
Welch Weekend DSCN2948 Welch Weekend DSCN2949 Welch Weekend DSCN2953

This ride was so covert we had to come back in the dark
Welch Weekend DSCN2954 Welch Weekend DSCN2955

Last edited by Ruger on Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 12:02 pm

wacker wrote:
PL your right... everyone talked about some sort of ride report several times throughout the weekend and we all thought it was in good hands with PrairiePounder being along to document the memories. He does a nice job putting "pen to paper" (PP) and pointing out multiply things that would normally go un-noticed.

Welch Weekend WritingSmiley

It was a unanimous decision that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
DJ750

DJ750

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 1:10 pm

Welch Weekend 22298

Thanks Ruger
Back to top Go down
slopoke

slopoke

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2011 7:13 pm

Nice ride report PP and pictures. Sounds like ya'll had a good time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Welch Weekend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Welch Weekend   Welch Weekend Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Welch Weekend
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next