QuadCrew Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the QuadCrewRiders website

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WV Trails Map

Go down 
+6
flipper
Resq
DJ750
wacker
Tumbleweed
BobT
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BobT

BobT

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 3:30 pm

The links below will take you to two different sites that I host my maps on. The MediaFire one also has some other files that might be useful. The maps are the same on both.

These are transparent Garmin maps that will overlay on what ever base map you use. The maps are self installing onto Mapsource. The map includes about 95% of all HM trails, 100% of Burning Rock, and over 600 miles of the Outlaw trails. It also include about 120 wpts. The HM and BR trails are dashed and color coded per the system scheme. The Outlaw trails are solid and color coded based on my evaluation. The color scheme is explained during the install process. You can choose to install the original tracks along with the color scheme document. You can uninstall the map using the Uninstall Programs in Control Panel.

The MediaFire site also has downloadable instructions on how to get Mapsource if you do not have it, there is also instructions on how to install Map onto GPSr. This site also has my Tutorial on how to make these maps.

The latest map is "WV ATV Trails 1.7". I update the maps every couple of months as I get new or better tracks. Both sites also have Taylor Park maps and I will be publishing a Moab map soon.

These maps work great on all Nuvi's since they have larger screens.

MediaFire site
WV ATV Trails Maps

GpsFileDepot site
GpsFile Depot Site
Back to top Go down
http://www.triadtrailblazers.com
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:43 pm

That's cool. I'll check it out when I get home b
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeWed Mar 02, 2011 4:59 pm

WV Trails Map Grey%5E_%5Earial%5E_%5E5%5E_%5E5%5E_%5EO Yeah!%5E_%5E WV Trails Map 597300

I've got an older version loaded and it's come in handy Cool
Back to top Go down
DJ750

DJ750

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 9:24 am

Downloaded THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Resq

Resq

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 8:34 am

Cool great map file BobT, thank you very much. Will try it out end of this month!
Back to top Go down
flipper

flipper

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 10:22 am

Just downloaded it. Never been on the outlaw trails because I didn't know where they were. I will be there in April and ride as much of it as I can.
Back to top Go down
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 10:29 am

Flipper,
We'll be down April 7-10 from Michigan.
Others are coming over the Easter holiday.
Maybe we can meet up w/ you.
Welcome to the site. Thanks for serving and your sacrifices.
Back to top Go down
flipper

flipper

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 12:20 pm

I'm coming in April and I want to ride the Outlaw trails for the 1st time. According to the map and text with the download the blue colored trails are close to the same difficulty as the HM trails. That being said I see quite a few blue trails that are roads according to my Mapsourse map. Are these dirt roads or two tracks? I realize road riding is needed but I just needed some clarifiaction.
Back to top Go down
Lee

Lee

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 1:02 pm

Something that will confuse you is that a lot of those trails have road names. They are far from being roads though! We (about 18) will be riding from Mountain Top Cabins beginning Thurs April 7. Stop by and say hi if you have time!

Oh. By the way, VERY nice job Bob.
Back to top Go down
flipper

flipper

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 1:10 pm

Great, one more question. The Matewan Outlaw trail, is part of this on a railroad bed? It looked like it from Google Earth.
Back to top Go down
BobT

BobT

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 4:53 pm

Most of the major roads are colored "Magenta". I have a new set of tracks that I have not made a map of yet, the file is "WV ATV Trails 1.8", in it I have broken some of the tracks into smaller segments and made more roads Magenta. As Lee said some dirt paths are roads on topo maps. It can be downloaded here ATV Trails It also has some more trails between Barkers Creek and Burning Rock.

The Matewan Outlaw trails definitely have some rail road bed riding. There is supposed to be a connector close to opening between there and Gilbert.

Flipper, on the same download site above I have a track called "Ashland Resort to Sterling Drive Inn", if you have not ridden the Outlaw Trails this will give you a good taste of them. It goes to the Stair Steps, Wagon Wheel, The View, and to Sterling DriveInn for lunch. On the way you will go through a lot of mud and water. There is gas down the street from Sterling. This is good one day ride, in fact we usually do it as a night ride since we are familiar with it. At night we usually go to McDonalds and get there by 10:00pm and get back to Hilltop around 1:00am.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 7:15 pm

Bob, I'm driving now so won't post much.
I think you posted some Brimestone, TN maps?!?! Very nice. They came in handy last Thanksgiving.
Thanks a BUNCH.
Back to top Go down
flipper

flipper

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 7:34 am

Great info, thanks Bob. I downloaded the Moab map to compare it to mine. I head out there every summer. Yeah I like hot. If you want I can send you my map of Moab so you can add in some trails including the San Rafael Swell and the Paiute trail system.
Back to top Go down
BobT

BobT

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 11:43 am

Flipper, I sent you a PM with my email address.
Back to top Go down
G Bob

G Bob

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Bob..just downloaded the file. Your post says all of H/m and burning rock? Am I doing something wrong cause all I see are outlaw trails?
Back to top Go down
http://www.brownsphoto.com
BobT

BobT

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 9:51 pm

G Bob - the map that is loaded into MapSource should show all of the Outlaw, HM, and BR systems. If you chose to install the .gbd tracks they only have the Outlaw, HMPC, and HMIR. I give people the option to get the original tracks if they want. The reason I do not give you the .gdb tracks for the other HM systems is because I don't have them. I got a .img image that I was allowed to use with permission for those system.

Once again, the map on Mapsource that you load onto your GPSr does have all systems. Let me know if you still have an issue and I will try and help resolve it. This is the first I have heard about this.

Bob
Back to top Go down
G Bob

G Bob

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Yeah I did just install the .gdb into Mapsource. Friggen Norton wouldnt let me download the other setup file at work but I may try it here at home on my laptop. Thanks for your work. Its a sad saturday night when all I have to do is look at gps tracks LOL
Back to top Go down
G Bob

G Bob

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 10:23 pm

Yeah that worked Bob. On a completely different matter. I passed an atv the other day that had both a garmin 60 series and a nuvi of some sort mounted on it. Am I correct in assuming that the Nuvi would only be used for left/right turning info? Can you load a topo map into a Nuvi? I see you said your map can be loaded into a nuvi so do the trails show up like a road would on my current nuvi? The older I get the more sense a bigger screen makes to me Smile
Back to top Go down
BobT

BobT

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 10:38 pm

I think you can load about any map onto a Nuvi. Most people I know just load my trail map. If you load topo's on they get awfully cluttered. I ride with a Nuvi 1300 showing my map and at a zoom level of around .3 miles, this give you a good look of what is around you. I also ride with a Colorado zoomed at around 200 ft, this is good when you are trying to see exactly where a trail intercepts.

On the Nuvi' you have to set the Navigation to "Offroad" other wise they will jump to the nearest road. That is why when you are driving down the road the Nuvi always shows you car exactly on the road. I think you have to experiment to see what works best for you. I usually run my Nuvi with the base map turned off and just showing my map.

Nuvi's will also track and you can download the tracks into Mapsource. To protect my Nuvi I sometimes put in a clear plastic Pod pouch I have, I can then press the screen through the clear vinyl. Other times if the weather is bad I but a zip lock bag over it.
Back to top Go down
G Bob

G Bob

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeSat Apr 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Thanks for the info Smile
Back to top Go down
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 11:31 am

Well you could also do this...
WV Trails Map GPSx3
Back to top Go down
BobT

BobT

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 2:50 pm

My set up, you got me by one.

WV Trails Map DSCN0511
Back to top Go down
Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 2:59 pm

Your left handlebar seems "nekkid"!!! WV Trails Map 863336
Back to top Go down
G Bob

G Bob

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeMon Apr 04, 2011 6:25 pm

I think my system is better guys......I just follow the guy in front of me Laughing
Back to top Go down
cntryldy61

cntryldy61

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2011 8:33 pm

why don't they make it an add-on option and build gps into the electronics screen on the quad?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WV Trails Map Empty
PostSubject: Re: WV Trails Map   WV Trails Map Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WV Trails Map
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next