Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Sportsman

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Great Pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Ed

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:32 pm

Got home about 11:30 Sunday. Had a great time. Lee thanks for the guide service, it was a pleasure meeting you, and everybody else, just don't remember names yet. Enjoyed yours and Mr.P pictures.

Keep the hula skirt shaking Smile 
Back to top Go down
wacker

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:00 am

And it's another Great 'Turkey Trot' Ride down on the books.

I enjoyed riding with everyone and meeting many new friends.

Lee - Thanks for the guide services.  Cool
Back to top Go down
Lee

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:42 am

wacker wrote:
Your days are coming Greg. I keep missing the 'incidents' riding up in front. Smile 
Back to top Go down
Punisher

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Lee wrote:
wacker wrote:
Your days are coming Greg.  I keep missing the 'incidents' riding up in front. Smile     
Yes , you do, lol
Back to top Go down
G Bob

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:09 pm

Nice photos..looks like a good time was had by all
Back to top Go down
http://www.brownsphoto.com
midget

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:08 am

Thanks for sharing
Nice photos.
Looks like it was a little cold.
Back to top Go down
Lee

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:23 am

A little cold my butt. It was Big Cold!! Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Punisher

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:07 am

Lee wrote:
A little cold my butt.  It was Big Cold!! Very Happy 
Your butt, your feet , your fingers ,
But it's a Fun Cold!
Back to top Go down
wacker

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:19 pm

Back to top Go down
Punisher

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:55 am

That's a king size sheethole!
Didn't know you videoed ,that's neat watching , thanks for posting it
Back to top Go down
Sportsman

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Punisher wrote:
Lee wrote:
But it's a Fun Cold!
I know 1 guy that was not cold. I bet he even took his coat off while riding!!!!! Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Punisher

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:38 pm

Sportsman wrote:
Punisher wrote:
Lee wrote:
But it's a Fun Cold!
I know 1 guy that was not cold. I bet he even took his coat off while riding!!!!!  Laughing 
Would it be this guy ? santa 
Back to top Go down
Mr.Ed

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:22 pm

Was that guy in your group ? Sure looks like he was warm in that thing Smile

Back to top Go down
wacker

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:29 am

Back to top Go down
Mr.Ed

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:50 am

Pictures worth a thousand words Smile

Back to top Go down
Punisher

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:54 am

That sure looks like him
Back to top Go down
Lee

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:55 am

And him looked warm.
Back to top Go down
Lee

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:41 am

Turkey Trot VIII
Nov 27-30 2013

By Lee

Getting there is half the fun!!

With winter storm Boreas taking a direct bearing on Crumpler, I decided to run for the hills on Tuesday. I left New Bern late morning, hoping to be on the mountain before dark – and well ahead of the second named storm of the season. Really? Do they fell that irrelevant?? As I neared Goldsboro, I saw this through my ‘office window’ and thought of Dave, who was less than optimistic about showing up, reporting difficulties with his machine.

I had heard from (new) Kevin who had amended his plan from coming over to ride with us Wednesday to staying at the cabin Tuesday night, due to the approaching weather. The drive in was wet, wet, wet. It rained 95% of the way. When I reached Bluefield, a text from Dave confirmed his arrival as around 9PM. I hadn’t been at the cabin long, just long enough to get the truck stuck in the muck, before (new) Kevin showed up. And true to his schedule Dave rolled in near 9. After introductions, a few drinks, and some light snacks it was lights out.

DAY 1: Test Rides

A quick look out of the door Wednesday morning made it clear the rain had truly turned to snow overnight, and continued to fall. It had also gotten pretty cold. The muck had frozen so I could relocate the truck. A little hot water dissolved the layer of ice over the GrizzLee’s key hole so it could be started and unloaded.

Dave established text communication with Throttleboss and we were not surprised to learn they were running late – due to weather. They expected to arrive between 11 and 12. With a couple of hours to kill, we rode over to Ashland so (new) Kevin could purchase his trail permit.

We then rode Indian Ridge to the boulder on T16, rode past Wild Willy’s and Jakes, and found ourselves back at the cabin around 11.30. Texting indicated Throttleboss’s crew should pull in around 1PM. We lunched and rested after our 22 mile morning ride. Not having heard anything further, we geared up and went down to the Steps. Talk about timing. They had just arrived.

Mike’s 6WD dually made it look easy pulling 2) UTV’s up, while Russell’s 2WD F150 with a quad in the back and two on the trailer looked outmatched. Paying a Favor Forward from 2005, we put my tire chains on the Ford. I was asked if the left side was tight enough and I said yes, meaning I didn’t want to crawl under that truck again. He didn’t spin a wheel until that left side chain come off just past Ferrell’s house. Yes – on the hill.

After we finally found the runaway chain, I crawled back under that Ford one more time. Chain reinstalled – and tight this time – Russell continued the last hundred or so yards to the cabin. Unloading commenced.

It was definitely the year for new machines. In late 2007, I was upstaged with the Brute by Trailrider after only 15 minutes of fame. This year, I got in 23 miles before the new Maverick XXC1000 and the new RZRS showed up. Oh well. Before we left for an afternoon trip through the creeks, Beniot the Friendly Frenchman showed up. In his e-mails I did not detect his most French accent, so I was as surprised as everyone else.

We joked about how we couldn’t understand half of what he said - until we realized the problem he was probably having understanding us. Then we all laughed. We are going to call him Ben. We can all say that.

Eight riders strong we made for the creeks and Tiny’s Corner. Footy had posted a warning on atvwv.com that Beavers were active on the route. Most of the crossings were fine, even low considering the rain on Tuesday. All but two that is. Those two were up to at least my fenders, making we wonder what the heck I was doing with this new quad. But I wasn’t going first so that made it easier. Not a lot - but a little. If they can make it…

We made it to Tiny’s without incident. We spent time with Underdog, Tina, and that new mongrel from September. He still isn’t the friendliest, but did partake of the Subway offerings. We returned via the connector, taking that left before you get to Northfork, coming in behind the cabins. We had a great opening day ride. Day one of the Trot was a complete success, weather be damned. Kevin (old) showed up after abandoning his truck and trailer at Ferrell’s. He did go back down for the truck later.

Day Two: The Ride to the Feast

Turkey Day started out COLD. Much effort, as in shuttling hot water and sharing a heat gun, went into getting our rides to roll. Not ready to roll, just to roll – as in move. Maybe riding the creeks wasn’t such a good idea after all.

Our group this day would include about 14 riders. Rocinate, Kevin, Kevin, Dave, Me, Chris, Russell, Dan, Mike, Mr Ed, Praire Pounder, Farmer, Ben, and Wacker. After waiting for Roger who didn’t make it, and knowing we had a schedule to keep, we decided we should ride Mike’s Choice and then work our way toward Matoaka. Dave took point and away we went.

Dave had concerns about riding the Little Fella and still making it to dinner on time. And rightfully so. To shave time, he took us straight toward Windmill Gap via the Hilltop route. The uphill beyond the gas pump was solid ice. The group stung out a bit as everyone figured out how best to get their machine up it. We joined Indian Ridge at the Pocahontas connector to make for T80.

We took a pause for all causes at the only place in the world that I have seen an actual landslide in progress. THE MOST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION was asked, and promptly answered.

We continued through Mike’s Choice chasing Dave. When we finally made it to Windmill Gap Road, I took the lead. You know what that road to you know where is paved with, and I had that. Good intentions. As I looked for THAT TRAIL it was obvious that things had changed. Nothing looked liked I remembered it. A dozer had been in the area. I couldn’t find my turn off. So we learned new trail, and made note of others to explore in the future.

We eventually ended up where I wanted to be, coming from a direction we had never come from before. It did prove the statement – Just keep going. You’ll come to something you know. Time was getting short as we crossed at the Spillway, and (new) Kevin had to break from the group to attend to family obligations. Rocinate took the lead taking us to our dinner destination in Matoaka.

We ate very well.

I truly hope we properly expressed our gratitude for this year’s Feast of The Feathered Beast. It still amazes me that Anna’s family will take in a group of our size, and notoriety, for Thanksgiving Dinner. We are some fortunate people!!

As daylight began to fade, we departed for the cold ride to the cabin with full stomachs. The second day of the Trot was a resounded success.

Day 3: Where the H3LL is Roger and did you BYOB?

It was becoming a habit. Not thawing out our rides (that too), but waiting for Roger to show up. I gave Dave some numbers and he went to texting. Eventually, here he comes on his Terex. But where is his truck and trailer? He explained how someone else had jack-knifed on the road completely blocking it. The best he could do was say the truck was 7.2 miles away.

We would have 13 riders on Black Friday. Mullens was chosen as the day’s destination. After everyone was ready we lit out.

We rode Spider Creek to Pinnacle and took a left. Punisher was in the lead and setting a blistering pace.

We took an alternate route and paid a visit to riders past.

We chose the BP/Subway as our pit stop. My coat of 10 years failed too. Duct Tape rules!!

On our return trip there was only limited information on where Roger’s truck may be. By a bridge, backed into a trail right beside it. Although others had doubts, I felt I knew where his truck was. Low and behold we found it! I’m told Punisher had an incident, but riding in front you miss much. Scouts were sent out to check the road. As it was totally iced, Roger chose to take a 1.25hr route to the cabin.

We ate well yet again on BYOB night.

And kept an eye on the dancing girl who was standing guard over the empties.

That’s all I can remember about that.

Day 4: Are we really riding on Saturday?

I had been threatened with bodily harm and called names if I left early so I stayed to ride. We went in search of the Woodbutcher who had left his calling card on the porch sometime Friday. Electing not to try the hill, he and his went to Hilltop instead. We found them.

They were not quite ready to go so we departed for the trestles on a kind of scenic tour for the newbies.

We were here:

When we got back to the cabin around 3PM, I had logged 211 miles on the GrizzLee. I think it’s broke in now. I look forward to March Mudness 2014. We have a great group of people to ride with. It was a pleasure to meet the other new to me folks. Thanks for taking a chance on us Mr Ed, Ben, (new) Kevin and Bob, and TJ, and Jason. I hope you dare to ride with us again.

If you are reading this and were not there, don’t make that mistake again. You are welcome to join us anytime. Come on!

Back to top Go down
Punisher

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:57 am

cheers  Ride Report !! cheers 
Back to top Go down
Farmer

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:26 am

Great ride report and thanks for a good time everyone.
Back to top Go down
Lee

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:52 pm

Thanks, but I left so many things out.

I mentioned (old) Kevin's truck but not what was in it.

I mention taking pauses, but not what was oozing from (old) Kevin's Ranger as the temps went up.

I didn't mention someone fnding a full fuel pack just laying in the trail.

I didn't mention I was missing a similar looking fuel pack.

I didn't thank Dave for bringing the boots that I forgot last time, or mention that he forgot something this time. Or did I? I can't remember.

I didn't mention Ed's heated RZR.

I may remember other things later.

I do remember I had a grand time.

I did enjoyed your guys company.
Back to top Go down
Ruger

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:24 am

Back to top Go down
Timmi

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:16 am

Looks like fun. Hate I missed it, been sick for weeks. Maybe I'll make the spring ride!
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ttimmii/
G Bob

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:49 am

Great report Smile Between rabbits and Santa Claus it seems I always miss the fun rides
Back to top Go down
http://www.brownsphoto.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Turkey Trot VIII   

Back to top Go down

Turkey Trot VIII
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
QuadCrew Riders :: Riding Areas :: Wild & Wonderful West Virginia-
Jump to: