QuadCrew Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the QuadCrewRiders website

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

helmets and eye protection for hatfield

Go down 
+5
Timmi
GeerHead
Lee
Ruger
Dixiecop28
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Dixiecop28

Dixiecop28

helmets and eye protection for hatfield Empty
PostSubject: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 am

Are you allowed to wear half helmets and sunglasses for the eye protection or do they need to be full faced helmets and goggles? I think the half helmet is ok as long as they are DOT certified but not sure and the sunglases too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ohiopuddlejumpers.com
Ruger

Ruger

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 7:10 am

•Everyone must wear a DOT, SNELL or other approved helmet and protective eyegear.
Back to top Go down
Lee

Lee

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 8:14 am

I wear my half helmet year round. Sunglasses are fine but do let a ton of dust by to the eyes. I switched to goggles and never looked back!
Back to top Go down
GeerHead

GeerHead

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 12:40 pm

Ruger wrote:
•Everyone must wear a DOT, SNELL or other approved helmet and protective eyegear.

What he said, and don't forget your owners manual. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lee

Lee

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 1:23 pm

Anybody know why they require SXS's to have the owner's manual with them?
Back to top Go down
GeerHead

GeerHead

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Lee wrote:
Anybody know why they require SXS's to have the owner's manual with them?

I'm guessing its because some of HMT's rules default to the manufacturer's recommendations and safety rules.
Back to top Go down
Timmi

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 3:10 pm

Lee, tell me about the half helmet. Which brand do you like and why do you prefer the half helmet?
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ttimmii/
Dixiecop28

Dixiecop28

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 3:18 pm

I am intrested in hearing why you like the half helmet over the full one too. I keep looking at the half helmets and think I would like to try one out sometime.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ohiopuddlejumpers.com
Lee

Lee

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Uh, I'll have to check the brand when I get home Timmi. I've had this particular one a long time. Originally used them for motorcycle riding. It's much lighter, much cooler in the summer, not so 'confining' or tight feeling as a regular or full face (which I also have), you can surely hear better. That means a lot on the cycle.

During the winter I wear a hardhat liner and one of those wrap around face mask. I don't ride cold!!
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 7:53 pm

Half helmets and goggles are great in the summertime Cool

helmets and eye protection for hatfield 100_0828
Back to top Go down
BobT

BobT

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 8:00 pm

Dale Earnhart wore a half helmet. I'm just saying.
Back to top Go down
http://www.triadtrailblazers.com
giddyupgirl

giddyupgirl

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 8:36 pm

wacker wrote:

Half helmets and goggles are great in the summertime Cool

I am okay with a half helmet in the RZR in the heat of summer,
otherwise I have a full motorcross helmet on the ATV or full motorcycle helmet on the bike...
I just prefer that if I would happen to need the helmet, I don't want a broken jaw.

Back to top Go down
Punisher

Punisher

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 9:09 pm

There is too much unseen Branch & thorn bush crap that his me in the face & head & also snags
my helmet cover as I am exceeding the recommended T.P.M. Speed on the trails for me to wear anything but a full face helmet. Also a few rollovers where the Grizzly & Warrior slammed down onto my head also convinced me .
( T.P.M. = Trees Per Minute for the un-educated rabbit )
It sucks when it's hot but I make sure I keep on moving to keep the airflow going.
Riding slow & stopping a lot for trail pops when it's hot out is another story & I can see why something more comfortable would be in order.
It is personal preference . helmets and eye protection for hatfield 514437

Btw - I was watching Alaska State Troopers last night and they showed the promo for next weeks show . It showed Troopers on an atv climbing & going over a log on a trail NOT wearing a helmet or eye protection.
Very Bad Example for them especially since they pulled over a guy on an ATV for riding on the road during the episode I was watching. scratch
Back to top Go down
Timmi

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 8:01 am

What brand do you recommend, wacker? I have never worn a half helmet. What features should I look for?
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 8:17 am

I've got a Fulmer Half, looks like a model 91
but took the sun shield off so I can raise and lower goggles.

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/helmets/half/

The 95B model looks neat if someone was going to wear safety glasses too.

Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 8:20 am

You should try and hit a few motorcycle shops and check out the styles and sizes first,
then maybe you could find something online you like too.

Lot's of choices here:

http://www.leatherup.com/c/Half-Face-Motorcycle-Helmets/2/284.html

Back to top Go down
Timmi

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 9:01 am

punisher, giddyupgirl, I agree with your statements. I am thinking for slow summer riding in the rzr the half helmet would be safe. wacker, thanks for the info and the link!
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 9:08 am

Timmi wrote:
slow summer riding

never knew there was such a thing.
Back to top Go down
Punisher

Punisher

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 9:26 am

Fast summer riding = cover 80-100+ miles in a day , Punish your machine & push its limits , Thrill riding on the edge

Slow summer riding = cover at least 1 mile while actually riding , look at & smell the roses , trees , animals , stop often for conversation & to admire scenery, a Trail Pop or both , explore closed or old trails ,Make your own trail , flog every mud hole encountered , take a lot of pictures , sight see Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 9:36 am

Punisher wrote:
Fast summer riding = cover 80-100+ miles in a day , Punish your machine & push its limits , Thrill riding on the edge

Slow summer riding = cover at least 1 mile while actually riding , look at & smell the roses , trees , animals , stop often for conversation & to admire scenery, a Trail Pop or both , explore closed or old trails ,Make your own trail , flog every mud hole encountered , take a lot of pictures , sight see Very Happy

Make no mistake I'm all about the epic mileage days, just ask G-Bob.

or check out this ride report

july 4th 2011

Last edited by Ruger on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 9:41 am

Punisher wrote:
Fast summer riding = cover 80-100+ miles in a day

helmets and eye protection for hatfield 810335

A 'Ruger 145' fits in that category then... Question Cool

helmets and eye protection for hatfield P9182380
Back to top Go down
Timmi

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 am

yep we ride slow and easy for the most part, seldom break 40 mph, most rides are about 30 miles
Back to top Go down
GeerHead

GeerHead

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 3:02 pm

I do use a half helmet in the hot weather. Even with a full face helmet and a windshield, I've been surprised by a branch finding its target and hitting me right on the nose. affraid
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: helmets and eye protection for hatfield   helmets and eye protection for hatfield Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

helmets and eye protection for hatfield
Page 1 of 1