QuadCrew Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the QuadCrewRiders website

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS

Go down 
+11
Jim and Mary
suze
Lee
midget
RadRed44
Sportsman
Tequila
GeerHead
Mr.Ed
scooter
Ruger
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Ruger

Ruger

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Empty
PostSubject: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 1:30 pm

SBR & I took a mid week jaunt over to North Central PA to do riding. Due to her work schedule we left Tuesday morning, dropped the dogs off at boarding kennel. Then it was east bound and down I80. Snacked on some amish cheese & crackers on the drive over and hit the Woodland exit about 3:00pm. On the way over we talked about hitting Gio’s BBQ and seeing what all the fuss was about. It’s a BBQ joint inside a gas station, also named Gio’s. Looked like it was newly renovated, 7 booths and 4 stools at a counter was the dine in seating. I ordered a ½ rack of ribs with slaw & haluski. Haluski is basically a cabbage and noodle dish of Polish origin. Ya I know 2 cabbage based sides. Well I figured I needed to balance out my diet with the cheese I ate on the ride over. SBR order pulled pork and beef brisket with slaw and fries. That was more food than I ordered! Oh yes and garlic bread comes with each entrée. Around $24 for everything with drinks. Good portions for the money. A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00726

After we ate we checked into the Kwik-Fill and got our things situated. Headed down to the Black Bear TH to do an evening ride, only one other rig in the lot when we arrived.
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00728

Ran about 22 miles, went down the “Laurel Trail” to see the Red Mo. It was low and it seemed to be a good place to view the deer. We seen a doe drinking water but she spooked up the shore line and into the woods. Later down trail we came to a good camp site spot and observed a buck in velvet up stream about 80-100 yards. I didn’t have any binos but judging from the antlers he had to be 6-8 pointer and had pretty good body mass. Best buck I’ve seen in these parts while riding for sure.
Low Mo
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00737

Velvet Buck
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00732

I NEED A STIHL
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00731
Next day we went back down to BB again as our starting point. Nobody there when we arrived, nobody there when we left. So we headed down the rail, over the trussel and down to the concrete bridge hung a right. Took morning break along the river again and headed west toward Grassflat. Burned up most of our morning playing around there. Did see a porky on the trail, best pic I could get as he lumbered off the trail when SBR came flying in like Ace Ventura.
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSCN3534

Ya it’s gone into the underbrush Ace
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSCN3536

After we played around there we headed back to the rail trail and proceeded to Newman’s for lunch.
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00761

I would say it’s basically the same as it was when it was Ludwigs. It’s good for trail lunch.
After lunch I was kinda low on gas since we didn’t fill back up after we rode the previous evening. I had one bar left and I told SBR we would head back and try to hit some of the trails between I80 and the rail trail. I didn’t get 2 miles from Clarence and my gas light started flashing. So we just went back the trailhead and loaded up. Still managed to get 60 miles in, at-least half of that was on the actual rail trail. Good day, was a little dusty, but that is in your control.
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00747

Grabbed a pizza at the shop next to the Pumkin House, cause they were closed. Turns out the pizza place is run my Mexicans, little odd, but the pizza was decent.
Next day it was time to move on.

Headed north up Rt144 to Renovo. Scenic drive.
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00769

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00768

We made it to the Kettle Creek Inn from Kylertown in about an hour and a half. Unloaded and headed up the road to the Whiskey Springs ATV trail.
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00771

First trail we headed up the mountain and seen 2 fearless does.
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00774

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSCN3543

There were several overlooks and the terrain varied. It was a good mix, I enjoyed these trails better than Bloody Skillet.
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00778

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSCN3548

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSCN3551

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSCN3563

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSCN3564

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSCN3566

This guy stuck out like sore thumb, even from 75 yards. Best I could do with a point & shoot camera.
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSCN3556

We rode till about 2:30pm when I seen some dark clouds brewing to the west. We rode some more because they didn’t seem too bad at the time. A little bit after 3pm while playing around “the pit” it got darker and then we heard thunder. That’s it, time to head for home. We made it and loaded the quads back on the trailer before the wind and rain came but just barely. Later while at supper we heard from some of the locals that closer to Renovo there was hail and a much stronger portion of the storm.
“The Pit”
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00812

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSCN3568

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSCN3569

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSCN3570

After cleaning up we ate at the KCI. Already reviewed my dinner in this thread

After dinner we decided to drive up the Kettle Creek State Park. Stopped and the Alvin R. Bush Dam.
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00818

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00820

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00823

Kettle Creek Res.
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00826

It was a nice drive, since there wasn’t much else do but sit in the room and watch TV.
Next morning it was time to head home. Took the scenic route thru Benezette but didn’t see any Elk, I NEVER see any up there! Ended up strangely in St. Mary’s. Not a bad pit stop 9:30 in the morning.
A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS DSC00831

SBR ended up getting a 3 ft x 10ft Straub Banner at the store for free, see really knows how to sweet talk them guys at the store. We did go home after that and back to reality. Looking forward to the next adventure.

All pics CLICK ME

Last edited by Ruger on Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
scooter

scooter

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Nice pics and report, Ruger. I'd like to try whiskey springs some time.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Ed

Mr.Ed

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 3:10 pm

Nice pictures and ride report. Good looking bear
Back to top Go down
GeerHead

GeerHead

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 3:42 pm

Very cool. Nice wildlife pics!
Back to top Go down
Tequila

Tequila

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 8:06 pm

Good ride report! We've been to WS 3 x but not fast enough with the camera to capture the bear!
Sounds like a fun trip!

Y & T
Back to top Go down
Sportsman

Sportsman

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 8:17 pm

Thanks for the pictures and the great ride report. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RadRed44

RadRed44

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Great report and pics Ruger! Looks like a fun trip. A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS 669999
Back to top Go down
midget

midget

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 6:06 am

Nice pictures.
Looks like you guys had a good time.
Back to top Go down
Lee

Lee

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 8:28 am

WHAT? No comment from the Wackmaster regarding the food? LOL

Thanks for sharing. I like the looks of that second place, Whiskey Springs. When is your next ATV WILDLIFE TOUR? Is it annual?? Every held on in WV? AWESOME!!!
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 9:35 am

Glad you all enjoyed it.

GeerHead wrote:
Very cool. Nice wildlife pics!

We seen quite an array of wildlife. Saw two Grouse but didn't get a picture. I got a good look at one as he flushed out and over the trail, wish it was hunting season and I had my 20ga. I wish for opportunities like that one come fall.

scooter wrote:
Nice pics and report, Ruger. I'd like to try whiskey springs some time.

You are probably closer than me, get up there!

Lee wrote:
WHAT? No comment from the Wackmaster regarding the food? LOL

Thanks for sharing. I like the looks of that second place, Whiskey Springs. When is your next ATV WILDLIFE TOUR? Is it annual?? Every held on in WV? AWESOME!!!

I don't think liver and onions are his thing. I'd like to get back down to WV, but it's cheaper and closer to go to PA. So far I have seen 2 bears in PA and have pics of both. Never seen a bear in WV.
Back to top Go down
suze

suze

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 7:15 pm

We had a good time both times we've been to WS. Saw a bear on the trail there also but now pic.

Glad you all were able to get away and enjoy it. Thanks for the report.
Back to top Go down
Jim and Mary

Jim and Mary

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 2:14 pm

Great pictures! Glad the two of you were able to get out and do some riding. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
giddyupgirl

giddyupgirl

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 7:37 am

Great trip report and pics.
Glad you were able to see explore new places and see so much wildlife.
Back to top Go down
G Bob

G Bob

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 11:42 am

Good report and pics Ruger. Nothing like seeing wildlife to make a trip just a little more enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
http://www.brownsphoto.com
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2012 6:43 pm

Gio's BBQ was packed the last time we tried stopping,
but everyone I hear talk about it says it's great. A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS 597277

I'm not a hug of of L&O but if I was starving to death, bring it on. Wink

Really enjoyed reading the ride report and captions, pics are great.

Ace Ventura on the 550 Grizz won't need front BG's with that air time.

Glad you guy's got out for some mid-week riding fun.

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS 597300
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 7:23 am

wacker wrote:

Ace Ventura on the 550 Grizz won't need front BG's with that air time.

Should have seen her riding a wheelie across the tressel. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Switchback Roller

Switchback Roller

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 10:36 am

Very Happy And with my eyes closed
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2012 11:40 am

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS 866209
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeWed Aug 29, 2012 10:34 pm

Midget goes across it with his eyes closed... Shocked
Back to top Go down
midget

midget

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 6:03 am

wacker wrote:

Midget goes across it with his eyes closed... Shocked

lol!
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2012 6:43 am

Ya I think I have a pic of that somewhere..........
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS   A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A MID WEEK RIDE @ SSRT & WHISKEY SPRINGS
Page 1 of 1