QuadCrew Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the QuadCrewRiders website

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Perry APV Area

Go down 
+2
Mr.Ed
Resq
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Resq

Resq

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 7:57 am

Thought id throw a blurp of perry out there.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forests/perry/tabid/5161/Default.aspx

The site states only 16 miles, but its one if not only area in the state where you can ride off trail.
Riding with someone that knows the area can provide an all day ride. Perry is not for the faint of heart.
Its been tossed asside by the state so trails have not been great in the last 5 years. Efforts have been made on a few trails to fill in quad sized hole with what looks to be #2 rock. Very rough to ride over.

Most of the area is reclaimed strip mine, and finding a highwall or steep climb for the dirtbike or sport atv is not far from the lot. After that its a meca of tight, steep, of camber, bumpy, root infested, stinky mud holes that make you very happy you have 4x4. We joke about cleaning the quad the day you ride. That stuff turns a cement like substance that will turn your tires and other plastic/rubber parts green in a few days. I suggest single rider atv only. Many places you have to lean and bend down to clear trees.

Not sure whats in store for perry. Alot of timber is being removed around the areas around the atv riding trails.

Looking for a slow ride, and to brush up on the technical, geometry aspects of off camber riding perry may be what’s on order for a day ride.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Ed

Mr.Ed

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 3:41 pm

Guess I won't bring the RZR Very Happy

Thanks for the info. Resq. I had actuall thoiught about going there sometime.

Did get 47 mi. WNF on Friday. No permit required for Fri. Sat.
Back to top Go down
Resq

Resq

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeWed Jun 13, 2012 10:33 am

Ah yes, the free ride!

you wouldnt be happy with perry for sure ed.
Back to top Go down
Punisher

Punisher

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 7:28 am

Perry Goo.
Resq loves this place !
Every time I ride there I get BAD stuck .
In this pic it took 2 Razrs tied together to get me out .
Time before that it took a Rubicon , Suzuki Twinpeaks & Rancher tied together
to extract me from that oil filled clay , lol

Perry APV Area PPics039

Perry APV Area PPics040
Back to top Go down
Punisher

Punisher

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 7:31 am

There is all day riding for sure & it's super easy to get lost / disoriented in there if you are unfamiliar .
You can literally ride anywhere , it's a free for all with some steep climbs & a lot of wet gooey moonlike lowland .
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2013 8:30 am

That's quite the 'camo' covering... nice pics. Cool

Back to top Go down
Resq

Resq

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 8:30 am

Here is my goggle share drive on Perry forest.  
The *.kmz file is there also which you can open in google earth.
The *.gpx file is there also with a pre loaded map overlay for units that support it.

Perry Forest Maps

Your right Mr.P,  like the place, quick fix where mud therapy is needed!

Last edited by Resq on Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Resq

Resq

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 9:41 am

Perry APV Area 64155_10
Back to top Go down
Resq

Resq

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 7:22 am

Little perry update,

in working with the state this year, another section of land is currently in the wrap up phase for purchase. Moving forward at least. More trail work to fill in holes.

I personally stayed away from this area for years, but now its a good place to ride again with many thanks to everyone’s help and state assistance to fix trails. Case in point, took 74 ton of rock to fill in one quad swallower on a main trail... yes, its not a typo. Another 46 ton in a second not too far from it. That trail is nice, and can ride it again!

The volunteer group has cut and cleared all downed trees on the map trails, and most of the udt (user developed trails) in the riding area. I see more riders, and younger ones too each weekend. Great to see handicap riders there as well. Great feeling to see this area shape up.
Back to top Go down
Dixiecop28

Dixiecop28

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 8:22 pm

sure would be nice if they would open it up to UTV's bigger then 50inch
Back to top Go down
http://www.ohiopuddlejumpers.com
Punisher

Punisher

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Razrs ride there , took 2 of them tied together to extract me from the goooo a few years ago.
Wayne has a 50 inch rule .
not sure Perry does since you can ride anywhere on or off trail.
Back to top Go down
Dixiecop28

Dixiecop28

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeTue Sep 17, 2013 8:27 pm

I thought it was all ohio parks had the 50 inch rule. I could be wrong though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ohiopuddlejumpers.com
Punisher

Punisher

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 7:15 am

Perry is different from all the rest there really are no rules except no doubling , speed limit in the parking area , wear a helmet & have a valid state sticker
Back to top Go down
Resq

Resq

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 8:18 am

Meeting with our state representative yesterday, he rode with us too.He is a great person to work with. I presented the 50" rule, he explained that the rule keeps jeeps and samurai buggys off the trail, which I know of 2 fines given this year to those folks for being on the trails.  He did say things change, more calls, and the uTV industry gaining leaps and bounds.  State is listening.

I still put out the offer if anyone wants to visit Perry on the weekend, and me being available, I'd be happy to show ya around.
Back to top Go down
Resq

Resq

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 8:24 am

Perry has the 50"rule Mr. P, hope they allow the larger SxS in the future. The group uses a Canned Ham 1000 to carry replacement trail markers, tools ect. They fit even on the udt trails.
Back to top Go down
Resq

Resq

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeSat Sep 21, 2013 9:21 am

Few video clips from opening weekend this year...

View 1

View 2

View 3

Video 4
Back to top Go down
Punisher

Punisher

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 3:06 am

Here's a pic of me after i unhooked from the second Razr after being pulled out of the "Cement " at Perry in 2008
I had Highlifer Outlaws on the rear and Titan 589 on the front, did me no good at all.
Goo all over me and the Prairie , lol
Perry APV Area PPics039

Before pics of that day ....

Perry APV Area 2004KawasakiPrairie1
Perry APV Area 2004KawasakiPrairie2
Back to top Go down
Farmer

Farmer

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2013 10:08 pm

You gotta love the water that turns aluminum to a nice shade of rust red.
Back to top Go down
Punisher

Punisher

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeTue Oct 22, 2013 7:24 am

That set of C-series wheels with the outlaws  is actually painted gold with some leftover car paint fro a 69 Plymouth Satellite at my friends body shop , lol
The set of C- series  im currently running with the 28in mudlites is turning gold from the ground!
Perry will also turn your underwear blackish gray .
Back to top Go down
Resq

Resq

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 8:59 am

LOL, and tires green/blue if left on there a few days. Iron rich area for sure.

#1 of 4 new trails are finished Mr p. The beaver trails is an add on to the small white loop on the otherside of the road. Like to see the other 3 completed by the end of the year.
Jordan and I fixed the ledge on the waterfall. Much better now if riding up the falls. Not so much a chance to flip backwards.

Going to ride saturday for a while if yer interested. Sunday we are working to put more trail markers up.

Back to top Go down
Punisher

Punisher

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeThu Oct 24, 2013 9:26 am

I am scheduled to work Saturday Sad Crying or Very sad

Tired of working Saturdays. Going to retire & find a new career soon I hope !
Back to top Go down
Resq

Resq

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 6:54 am

www.ohio.perrytrailriders.org

Put a site together for the maintenance crew. Year is over, but work to be started on a few new trails during the off season.
Back to top Go down
Punisher

Punisher

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 10:21 am

I decided to spend my day off yesterday on the 400ex inspecting Perry and the expanded marked trails  Very Happy 
Since everyone still works 5-6 days a week I rode alone.  Neutral not always a good idea there but extra caution was the rule of the day .
Resq emailed me an updated "Marked Trail " map ( no part of Perry is off limits and UDT snakes everywhere - it's a free for all riding area )
I was impressed with the maint groups handiwork, it's been a couple years since I've been there but it was a noticeable improvement , the marked trails were easy to follow .
Perry is a confusing place to ride but the main trails are well marked and can be used for reference when exploring the place .
There is a LOT OF PUNISHMET there in all forms imaginable off the main trails , lol , that will never change . It's a dirt bike and technical trail Mecca pirat 
400ex got stuck right away , was able to get out so after that I did a lot of sheethole dodging but that really isn't possible .
I also encountered a motorcycle off trail buried to the fenders in clay muck and the rider knee deep trying to get it out , no chance . He was bad punished  pale 
It wasn't going anywhere untill the trusty towstrap made an appearance. It finally came out after about 10 minutes of tugging on it.
I was glad I had put the "digger" mud tires on the 400 , they were needed .
Rode 95% of the marked trail , all except for the left part of the red loop . Can see trail work going on in orange 5 section , a big tree blocking white 8 in the old udt section
Rode UDT in the east in the Orange 4 & White 3 area , came out on 545 & rode a little bit down the shoulder back to the gas line UDT gate .
Determined that I am too old for a 400ex , lol , sore back and joints limited my ability to ride hard Sad 
Just putted around and filled my built in GPS , never got past 3rd gear anywhere but on the powerline paths.
Perry says only 16 miles but there is way more than that in UDT . each mile there is definitely not the same as a WV mile.
You can go anywhere you want within the property border.
Lots of fun , I will be going back with a winch and another rider for sure  Very Happy 
Perry APV Area 8C3DA283-F2C3-4CF1-AE8F-F8AA19393809_zpshxosm5dr
Perry APV Area ADF24C4C-2CA0-4649-BB73-83055EC44C90_zpsvxk8dmi9
Back to top Go down
Punisher

Punisher

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 10:27 am

Perry APV Area 444290FA-E040-424F-B0B1-56CC792DFCD0_zpspdc49lyb
Perry APV Area 0B8EDC82-8037-40F1-A12C-C9CDECDD8ABB_zpsqfdiqpmg
Perry APV Area 6D9FB691-0683-4679-999B-6BC4CC59ECA7_zpsyccj4qij
Back to top Go down
Punisher

Punisher

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2014 10:30 am

Perry APV Area C1C70F90-CA8B-40F9-83C0-90E8C4C2B3C3_zps3bt9ewl1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Perry APV Area Empty
PostSubject: Re: Perry APV Area   Perry APV Area Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Perry APV Area
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next