QuadCrew Riders
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the QuadCrewRiders website

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mountain Top Removal on PBS

Go down 
+3
sparky
wacker
Ruger
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Ruger

Ruger

Mountain Top Removal on PBS Empty
PostSubject: Mountain Top Removal on PBS   Mountain Top Removal on PBS Icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 2:39 pm

Check your local listings, but tonight @ 9:00pm on my local PBS station, there is going to be a program on about mountain top removal. I just hope between now and then I don't forget about it or fall asleep before it comes on.
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Top Removal on PBS   Mountain Top Removal on PBS Icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 8:27 pm

You didn't get to watch it, but here's some extra info on it.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/razingappalachia/mtop.html
Back to top Go down
sparky

sparky

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Top Removal on PBS   Mountain Top Removal on PBS Icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 9:14 pm

That looks all to familiar more and more mountains are looking like this. I know joe manchin was wanting to declassify some land so the coal companies can mine it. Personally I think we need to prederve our history so out kids and grandchildren can see what this country has been through.
Back to top Go down
Grizz

Grizz

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Top Removal on PBS   Mountain Top Removal on PBS Icon_minitimeSun Jun 20, 2010 9:45 pm

I searched all my Pittsburgh local PBS stations & couldn't find it. I have seen a couple of programs about this in the past, may have been a repeat.
I agree that this is a very destructive way to mine coal.
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Top Removal on PBS   Mountain Top Removal on PBS Icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 1:56 pm

It was probably a repeat the dates that were given in the show were old. Plus it was more of a political show than an informative show on the process of mountain top removal.
To me its a doubled edge sword.
Back to top Go down
giddyupgirl

giddyupgirl

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Top Removal on PBS   Mountain Top Removal on PBS Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 7:09 am

Yes. I agree about the double edged sword and political.

Coal/oil/etc=rich energy companies=political power=not enough money for R&D for sensible alternatives.

In light of the flooding and mountaintop removal...it makes you think...when hundreds of acres of the top crust of the soil along with plants and trees that normally drink water are removed, where does that water go?

But I'm a contributor to the problem because I use electricity everyday and drive a car that runs on gas and use plastic bags and disposable cups, etc, etc. Embarassed

I think we should just go to PP's lake in Canada and live off the land! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Top Removal on PBS   Mountain Top Removal on PBS Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 3:51 pm

Back to top Go down
wacker

wacker

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Top Removal on PBS   Mountain Top Removal on PBS Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 3:53 pm

Back to top Go down
G Bob

G Bob

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Top Removal on PBS   Mountain Top Removal on PBS Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 9:20 pm

interesting maps
Back to top Go down
http://www.brownsphoto.com
sparky

sparky

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Top Removal on PBS   Mountain Top Removal on PBS Icon_minitimeTue Jun 22, 2010 9:58 pm

That was just 3 years imafine what it is now last maps taken 2007
Back to top Go down
DJ750

DJ750

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Top Removal on PBS   Mountain Top Removal on PBS Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 8:52 am

Very interesting
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Top Removal on PBS   Mountain Top Removal on PBS Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 11:33 am

Those maps could come in handy when you're out explorin.
Back to top Go down
Ruger

Ruger

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Top Removal on PBS   Mountain Top Removal on PBS Icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 11:56 am

wacker wrote:
You didn't get to watch it, but here's some extra info on it.

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/razingappalachia/mtop.html

No that one wasn't the one that was on. This one was mainly focused on the Marsh Fork Elementry School, which I'm almost certain is in Sundial,WV. Which is just up the road from the Montcoal mine explosion. There is a strip on the west side of Rt.3 which has an earthen dam holding back tons of coal sludge. The damn is directly up the mountain from the school. In my opinion I don't care how many "experts" say the damn is safe, that is disaster waiting to happen.

If you go to Google Earth you'll see the mine and the impoundment, school is on the other side of the creek.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mountain Top Removal on PBS   Mountain Top Removal on PBS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mountain Top Removal on PBS
Page 1 of 1